Tuesday, April 11, 2006

"Let the little children come to Me"


Sarah LOVES church. I mean LOVES it!! She loves Ms Michelle and Ms Christy (Ms Tristy as Sarah says) ,who are her teachers at Mother’s Morning Out…not at our church, but it’s all the same to Sarah. She loves Ms Jue and Ms Jean from her nursery at Mom’s Bible Study at our church. When we leave she wants to go see Mr Chuck and Ms Terri, just to say Hi because we did that when they first came to our church and now Sarah thinks it’s part of the day at church. She loves to go in the choir room because she loves to bang on the piano and sing Jesus Loves Me. And on rare occasions I’ll take her in there with me on Sunday morning during rehearsal and she will stand and face the choir and help direct. She loves Mr Keith and Mr Jim who are just always there and she loves to say hi to them. She loves Ms Julie in the Sunday morning nursery, just because, well, probably because Ms Julie loves her so much. Every day we wake up she says “We go to church today in just a minute?”. Usually the answer is yes because we are at a church 3-5 times a week. She loves to greet with Glen and me on our Sundays to greet at the front door. And just a nice “good morning” does not a greet make to Sarah…no, Sarah runs up to them (any one that looks receptive to be honest) and gives them a hug and attempts a “good morning”. Although, to be honest, once the person gets that big smile and hug I don’t think they ever hear the “good morning”. She’s comfortable there and that thrills my heart. There are so many that she loves to see there. But always when we leave, there is one thing that Sarah must do. She must touch the feet of Jesus on the sculpture on the outside of the church. And most times it’s the same conversation. “I want to touch Jesus”. So I lift her up (we can only reach His feet) and she touches His toes. “I want to touch His hands”. “We can’t reach His hands, too high”. “Ok, just touch His feet”.

I’m nearly brought to tears every time. Touching His feet are enough, even though it would be great to hold His hand. His feet are enough. There are lots of things she likes to do every time we’re at church, but how could my heart not love that touching Jesus is one of them?? And that His feet are enough?

I hope that we are teaching her all we can about our Savior, the One that knew we needed each other, the One that used rough beginnings to say “My grace is sufficient for you…and the beginning of your story is only that…the beginning”. Jesus has poured out so much love on her at CUMC through the people she meets and that means everything to a mom who prayed that her baby would be loved and accepted for who she is, without regard to the first page of her story. But this past Sunday I realized Sarah does her own share of touching lives in the little things that make her “Sarah”. As Glen and Sarah were coming into church someone stopped them and gave Sarah the picture you see here. Know what it is? It’s the Jesus she has to touch every time we leave church. During moments that I thought only I was capturing in my heart, someone else had been touched by the tiny gospel of “touching His feet”. They had this picture taken just for Sarah and gave it to her as a special gift. I don’t know who it was, but thank you. May it always remind us that just touching His feet can be enough.

No comments: