I wouldn't want to give the impression that I ever thought any one thought of me as anything but a city girl (albeit small city), but I believe today I announced it loud and proud.
We, all of the Swans, loaded up our mini-van (clue #1), drove about 45 miles to a good nursery (clue #2) and bought....
weeds and poop!!! $75 worth of weeds and poop.
It's crazy really.
To top it off, said weeds were inspected to ensure the presence of wild butterfly eggs.
Now, I realize I'm country-enough to a) know which weed I need, b) know what the wild butterfly egg looks like, and c) can tell my 5 yr old "no, that's dirt" when egg hunting.
But still, asking if they carried weeds felt a bit awkward.
Yesterday I went to a city garden center and the very old lady working there (wouldn't you think a very old woman would know garden stuff???) was totally baffled by me asking for the Milkweed that came in. (I *KNOW* it came in, because the owner called to tell me it was!!!) And she couldn't find it. I should have known when I saw her perfect lipstick that she was a city-gardener.
Anyway...we now have Milkweed (complete with several Monarch eggs), *quality* manure (from only grass-eating animals), and some other stuff to make our veggies grow like....er, weeds.
I was reading on-line that some places won't carry Milkweed because it's a weed. Can you imagine anything more tragic than a bunch of monarchs in your yard??? Yeah, whatever. Now, my next "problem" is if I'm going to have enough Milkweed to feed my very hungry caterpillars!! I also need to figure out if my lizards are interested in my eggs?? Surely not.
I sound so outdoorsy don't I? In the interest of journalistic integrity I should reveal that I've never touched ANYTHING I've talked about except plants. But I look really closely at them. :)
Maybe we'll have pictures later of us planting everything. And likely, Sophie pulling everything up. *sigh*
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow - taking the study of butterflies to the highest level - I am impressed! I thought I was doing good with an ant farm in a jar... :)
Post a Comment